Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 3 - Helen, the twisties and the river

The day started with my departure at 7:45 am for a day of riding. I headed South out of Helen on Hwy. 75 on my way to Suches, GA. I understood that the famous "Tail of the Dragon" was located on Hwy. 129/180 just outside of Suches - wrong. Actually, the Tail of the Dragon is located in North Carolina - on Hwy. 129. Nonetheless, I rode what turned out to be a more technically challenging road - Hwy 180 - Wolf Pen Gap. The road is not nearly as well maintained as the dragon, and it is equally as twisty. What a charge!! There are so many fine riding roads in this part of the country that you cannot miss a good ride no matter what direction you turn.

After finding out that the Dragon was a long ways away, I covered the area and had a great day riding. Tomorrow I will ride to the real Tail of the Dragon and compare it to Wolf Pen Gap. I would doubt it is much more challenging!

Coming back to Creekwood Resort (with the help of my trust Garmin) I had lunch and then, after some cleaning of the RV, Suz and I headed for Helen for the afternoon Happy Hour". Once again we went to the Veile Margerita and watched the hundreds of people float by on the Chattahoochee River on tubes. Suz and I will go tomorrow after I return from "the Dragon."

We are totally taken by Helen. As is "Dixie the Wonderdog". It is a very nice town, the people are friendly and the Creekwood Resort is wonderful! You could do a lot worse for a holiday!

I will report back tomorrow on the riding and the tubing down the Chatahoochee!

All the best and CHEERS!

John, Suz and "Dixie the Wonderdog"

No comments:

Post a Comment