Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 1 - Day 49 - The road to Sturgis

We left Mitchell at 7:50 on our way to Sturgis. The weather has been perfect and we are still having a ball! Highway I90 is uninteresting in the Eastern part of South Dakota in the most part, but it has its highlights. For example, the terrain is so flat that you can almost see the curvature of the earth! And more towards Sturgis, you cross the badlands, which lives up to its name.

We also crossed into another time zone today making my work schedule that much more difficult. Now 4:30 become 2:30! Oh well, I can always try to go back to bed. And besides, when we get to the West coast, it will be 1:30! Hopefully, I will adjust.

We arrived at the Rush-No-More RV Park just outside of Sturgis at 12:00 pm local time. Our site is great, and I would recommend the park to anyone. It is quiet and isolated in the upper part of the park, and it is full service with no problem accessing the DirecTV satellite.

By the time we got the car and bike off, the coach settled in, the bugs washed off the front, and the motorcycle washed, it was 3:00 pm - time to head into Sturgis for Happy Hour. As you can imagine, Suz wouldn't go on the bike, so we took the car. Frankly, I was so tired I didn't want to be on the bike.

We went to the Best Western, where we had stayed three years ago and headed for the bar. As it happens, Guy, the owner whom we had befriended, had sold the bar last November and the service was nowhere near what it had been. We will be looking for another watering hole!

Returning to the coach, we (well I, note the Princess on the phone!) broke out the Bubba Burgers and fired up the grill . The best burgers anywhere! Tomorrow Suz has instructed me to ride while she rests and "irons and does the laundry." Can you imagine turning down a great bike ride? Reluctantly, I will oblige her wishes.

There is a lot of good riding in the Sturgis area, and I intend to cover most of it. Until tomorrow, Cheers!

John, Suz and Dixie the Wonderdog

No comments:

Post a Comment